Translate

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Hiroshima City (Okonomiyaki)



Welcome to Japan.    Yo-koso Nippon


First of all, in the future, I hope huge number of foreigners visit Japan, enjoy the culture and love the country. At the same time, I hope they contact with many Japanese people, and teach them the greatness of your country. Through doing it, I think many Japanese people would be interested in your country, as a result, global interaction would be promoted.

I hope many Japanese people and many foreigners would have many opportunities to make friends with each other in the future.

In my opinion, one of the greatest thing of our life is to have new experiences.

I’m a Japanese who lives in a foreign country. So far I have been there for a year, and visit many countries, and met a lot of friendly people. Actually it is the first time for me to live in the foreign country, and I was very worried about the new life, when I went to the foreign country, but many kinds of people in the country helped me to get many useful information to live. That’s why I ‘m very surprised and satisfied with that so far.
In addition to it, there are many people who are interested in the Japanese culture, like food, scenery, Anime, ancient architecture etc. So I’m very glad to know that.

So I would like to show many kinds of the Japanese cultures in my HP, and sightseeing spots and foods, and restaurants, and to show many kinds of recipe for Japanese dishes.
And I’d like to tell you some Japanese phrases, because I think there are still many Japanese people who can’t communicate with foreign people in foreign languages.
If these cultures attract the interest of you after reading this HP, I would be very very happy.


Hiroshima City (Part 1/April.2016)

A.  General information
Hiroshima City is one of the most famous city in Japan. First of all you may probably come up with the atomic bomb, when you hear the name of the city. Of course this is the one of the most important thing for human beings.
However, there are many sightseeing spots in Hiroshima. Even if you go to Hiroshima from Tokyo, it’s very easy. You have only to get on the Shinkansen bullet train at Tokyo station. It takes about 4 hours. But the trains are usually very crowded in middle August, and the end of December and the beginning of January.

B.  Food (Okonomiyaki)
 1  What is Okonomiyaki ?
Today I’d like to explain about Okonomiyaki.
In addition to the scenery, the food of Hiroshima like Okonomiyaki is very nice. I think you have a question ‘What is Okonomiyaki ? ’
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese food dish of a pan-fried batter cake and different ingredients including meat, seafood, and vegetables. Most okonomiyaki has cabbage in it.

The name of this dish means "cook what you like". The word ‘Okonomi’ means ‘favorite’, and the word ‘yaki’ means ‘fry’. Okonomiyaki is mainly associated with Kansai or Hiroshima, but is widely available throughout Japan.



Okonomiyaki is the one of the most popular food in Japan. In postwar Hiroshima, okonomiyaki was invented to save a few wheat flour and vegetables (for example, cabbage, bean sprout, green onion and so on.) because foods are shortage. It is called "okonomiyaki (fried liking foods)" because people made okonomiyaki to include their favorite foods in the past.

   2   How to cook (I think it is not difficult to cook in your house.)
1      You cook mixed water and wheat flour and shape like a thin circle.

2      You put cabbage, pork , other toppings and tempura bits and turn it over.

3      You put fried noodles on it.

4      You shape egg like a thin circle and put it below.

5      You turn it over and put sauce and green laver on it.

※I think you can buy sauce for okonomiyaki in some asian-food shop.(But in some cases, it depends on your place.)

    Okonomiyaki restaurants in Hiroshima
However, there are many okonomiyaki restaurants in Hiroshima, so, it’s very easy to find that. For example, in the Hiroshima Station building ‘ASSE’, you can find that very easily. I think japanese people will welcome to your visit !
In the center of Hiroshima City, there is an interesting building. That is ‘’ Okonomimura’’. It means okonomiyaki village. Many okonomiyaki restaurant are in the building. It is not far from the Hiroshima station. 
If you are interested in Okonomimura, please look at the HP. You can get the concrete information.
Other than that, I recommend the Okonomiyaki restaurant ‘Rei-chan’. The restaurant is my favorite one. If you visit Hiroshima, it’s worth visiting !! Very delicious.
Rei-chan is in Hiroshima Station building ‘ASSE’ 2F.

    4  How to order in japanese
If you can’t speak japanese, sometimes you may have difficulties with ordering in some okonomiyaki restaurants. Today I am glad to tell you how to order okonomiyaki in Japanese, just in case no staff can speak English in some restaurant.
‘’Niku-Tama-Soba  kudasai‘‘

This is the japanese phrase when you order normal style okonomiyaki.
Almost all of staffs can understand the phrase.
‘Niku’ means pork. ‘Tama’ means egg. ‘Soba’ means noodle.
‘kudasai’ means ‘give me’. But it is polite expression. You can use ‘kudasai’ in the other kinds of restaurants and shops. Very useful, and easy !!
In addition to these ingredients, vegetables (for example, cabbage, bean sprout, green onion and so on.) are added.

In some restaurants, you can add some seafood like shrimp, squid, oyster.
  Hiroshima is very famous for oyster farming.

As above I’d like to give you many kinds of interesting information in Japan, of course I often update my HP.

I’m looking forward that you come to Japan someday !!

No comments:

Post a Comment